I absolutely love atlantic salmon. It’s so easy to cook and practically any ingredient can be paired with it due to its mild flavour.
It is full of omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for our bodies as we actually don’t produce this on our own. Salmon is also great for the metabolism, skin, hair and nails, and is full of protein.
When roasting eggplant, make sure you add salt to prevent it from tasting bitter. A lot of people say you have to let it drain for 1/2 hour but in my experience adding salt when roasting definitely does the job!
By toasting the pine nuts it intensifies their rich nature. I do this by placing them in a frypan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes tossing the pan frequently.
When cooking salmon, I always cook it with the skin-down first. This ensures a crispy skin and the fillet to cook evenly.
As the cooler weather kicks in, this salad is perfect as you are still able the enjoy a ‘warmer’ meal yet receive all the benefits from the vegetables.
Salmon with roasted vegetable and rocket salad
- 4 fillets atlantic salmon
- 1 packet rocket (arugula) leaves, washed
- 1/2 pumpkin, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 eggplant (aubergine), diced
- 3 zucchinis, diced
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, extra for salmon
- 150g goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, place the pumpkin, carrot, 1 TBSP cumin and 1 TBSP coconut oil. Toss until well coated and roast for 20 minutes.
- In the same bowl, place the eggplant, some salt, zucchini, 1 TBSP cumin and 1 TBSP coconut oil. Toss until well coated and roast for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add enough coconut oil and once hot enough place the salmon skin-side down. Cook for 4 minutes, or until flesh around the skin starts to go white.
- Turn and cook on the other side for a further 2 minutes*.
- Place half the rocket, half the roasted vegetables and half the goat cheese in a large bowl. Toss. Repeat on top with remaining rocket, vegetables and goat cheese.
- Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper together.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top of the salad. Drizzle the dressing over.
- Serve salmon with the salad and top each with a 1/4 of sliced avocado. Enjoy!
Note: If you like it cooked well done then cook for 4 minutes.
What do you like to pair your salmon with?