As this Thursday is ANZAC Day it seemed appropriate for me to make a gluten, dairy and refined sugar free version of the traditional biscuits. I made sure I kept the traditional ingredients of rolled oats and coconut to ensure they tasted as similar to the original ones as possible.
As I didn’t use butter, I made them in the food processor to ensure they did not fall apart. By adding the oats in at the end this helped to maintain the shape of them.
You can make these biscuits in a mixing bowl but you may have to add more water/coconut oil to achieve the desired consistency.
Coconut palm sugar gives the biscuits the ‘golden syrup’ taste that ANZAC biscuits are known for. This can be purchased from most health food stores.
This mixture made 42 biscuits, give or take a few depending of how big you roll them.
Let’s just hope they last till Thursday!
These will keep for 1 week in a sealed container in the pantry or cookie jar on the kitchen bench. Alternatively you can freeze half the batch for up to 1 month. Just let them defrost for 1 hour before eating.
You can definitely halve the mixture if 42 is too many!
Vegan ANZAC biscuits
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 TBSP 100% pure maple syrup
- 4 TBSP water
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a food processor, process the almond meal, coconut flour, coconut palm sugar, baking soda and desiccated coconut for 1 minute.
- Add the almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, water and process for 2 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats and process for 2 minutes, or until it all comes together.
- Form mixture into small balls and flatten with your fingers on the lined trays.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden, then cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
- Use 2 cups of coconut flour instead of 1 cup almond meal and 1 cup coconut flour
- 100% pure maple syrup can be substituted for honey
- The almond milk can be omitted for extra water
Do you like to make ANZAC biscuits every year for ANZAC Day?