What better way to spoil your Mum on Mother’s Day this Sunday than with decadent yet healthy pancakes for breakfast?! You really can’t go wrong with chocolate for breakfast either.
To make my own oat flour I placed rolled oats in a blender for 1 minute until they became a flour-like consistency. If you don’t want to blend oats, you can buy oat flour from most health food stores.
Oats are full of fibre meaning you will feel fuller for longer. They also help to regulate blood sugar levels.
This batter is quite thick in consistency, if you prefer your pancakes thinner just add more nut milk. I didn’t as I think they would have become too difficult to flip.
The batter is surprisingly quite light in colour until you flip them, then they become a rich chocolate colour.
Lately, I have been really enjoying making my own jam. It is so easy and I love knowing exactly what ingredients are going into it. I didn’t sweeten this jam as I like the tartness of the raspberries against the cacao flavour. However, feel free to add some honey or maple syrup to suit your taste buds.
By layering the pancakes and the raspberry jam it resulted in a each mouthful bursting with flavours.
Cacao cinnamon pancakes with raspberry coconut chia jam
Makes 5 (serves 1)
Cacao cinnamon pancakes
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup rice milk (can use almond milk or other nut milk of choice)
- 1 TBSP coconut oil, extra for frying
- 1 TBSP cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Raspberry coconut chia jam
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP shredded coconut
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP ferrero rocher nut butter or any nut butter of your choice
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oat flour baking powder, milk, coconut oil, cacao powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Heat 1 TBSP coconut oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Spoon batter onto the pan. Flip pancakes when little bubbles start to appear and cook on other side. Repeat until all the batter has been cooked.
- In a small saucepan place the raspberries over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes, or until raspberries defrost.
- Stir in chia seeds and shredded coconut and cook the mixture down until it thickens to your desired consistency. Add water if it becomes too thick.
- Layer pancakes with raspberry jam, then place the nut butter on top and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Enjoy!
How do you plan to spoil your Mum this Mother’s Day?