Lately, I have been enjoying experimenting with different flavours of nut butters. Knowing it is cheaper and quicker to make it at home is providing me with even more of an incentive to experiment.
As walnuts can sometimes have a bitter aftertaste, I roasted them to mellow the flavour.
I found walnuts became smoother a lot quicker than other nuts when processed. So this required even less time to make than first thought!
This nut butter can be stored in a sealed container or glass jar for up to 2 weeks in the pantry.
Walnut cinnamon cacao nib butter
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Place walnuts on baking paper and roast for 8-10 minutes, until slightly brown in colour and fragrant. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
- Place roasted walnuts in food processor/Vitamix and process until smooth. Stopping every few minutes to scrape down the sides.
- Add the cinnamon and salt and process until combined.
- Place in a bowl and mix in cacao nibs. Enjoy!
Note: you can add some honey, 100% pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup to sweeten it
The walnut butter tastes amazing with dates as the cinnamon and salt really come alive!
Have you made your own nut butter before? If so, I’d love to hear what flavour?