I love having pizza nights. There’s something so enjoyable about getting friends together, making pizzas and watching movies.
This spelt pizza is a healthy, vegan alternative to the traditional pizzas. Please don’t let the term ‘vegan’ deter you from making it. Vegan basically means it does not contain any animal products e.g. eggs, honey, chicken, goat cheese, etc. However, feel free to add some chicken or lamb as toppings if you’d like some animal protein!
What I really like about spelt flour is it’s very filling, but surprisingly doesn’t make you feel heavy.
It’s important to knead the dough as this helps it to come together and makes it easier to roll out.
I baked this before adding the toppings as this ensured it was properly cooked.
I love the combination of earthy basil pesto and zesty cashew cheese – they really complement each other.
This pizza will keep in the fridge for up to four days in a sealed container. Reheat in the oven at 180C/350F for 10 minutes or enjoy cold!
Makes 1 large pizza
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour, extra for flouring surface
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil
Toppings (feel free to adapt to suit your tastebuds)
- Basil pesto
- Cashew nut cheese – place in a ziplock bag, cut off one corner and squeeze to pipe the cheese on top
- Red onion, washed and chopped
- Zucchini, washed and chopped
- Spinach leaves, washed
- Asparagus, washed and chopped
- Pumpkin, washed and chopped
- Mushroom, washed and sliced
- Broccolini, washed and chopped
- Red capsicum, washed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line baking tray or pizza tray with baking paper.
- Place the spelt flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the water and oil. Combine ingredients gradually, be careful not to over mix.
- Transfer the dough to a clean, floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes, until smooth.
- Roll the dough out to your desired thickness and place on prepared tray and into oven.
- Bake spelt base for 10 minutes then removed from oven.
- Place pesto, then toppings of your choice, finishing with cashew nut cheese.
- Place into oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden on top.
- Slice to serve and enjoy!
What are your favourite pizza toppings?