This weekend I’ve enjoyed some good old-fashioned baking, something I haven’t done in a long time. Baking cookies is a favourite pastime of mine; I have fond memories of baking multiple batches for school bake sales.
I posted this photo on Emma Lauren Food’s Instagram and Facebook page yesterday and many of you were asking for the recipe. So, I thought I’d share it with you all today so you too can enjoy theses little morsels of chocolately goodness!
These are a little on the undercooked side, meaning they are soft and chewy – just how I like my cookies! They will slightly harden once cooled though.
I made this batch of cookies twice, once using coconut palm sugar and another with 100% pure maple syrup. Personally I preferred the coconut palm sugar to sweeten these as they actually tasted like a cookie as opposed to a brownie with occurred when I used the maple syrup. Mind you, they really are both delicious.
Almond meal is a great base for these cookies as it’s light which helps to balance out the rich chocolate flavour.
My philosophy with food is if you’re going to enjoy something, you might as well go all out! This was definitely applied when adding the chopped chocolate and macadamias to the already indulgent cookie dough.
Don’t be alarmed if the cookie dough appears to be quite ‘wet’. Once baked it prevents the cookies from drying out.
By rolling the cookie dough into balls, this ensures the cookies are evenly shaped and are of similar size.
Using your index and middle finger, gently press the cookie dough balls down to flatten and resemble cookies.
Store in a sealed container in the pantry for up to four days or in the fridge for up to one week.
Double chocolate macadamia cookies
Makes 15 cookies
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar*
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup macadamias, chopped
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs or any sugar and dairy free chopped chocolate*
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix almond butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Add cacao powder, vanilla, egg, baking soda, salt and almond meal then mix until well combined.
- Stir through macadamias and cacao nibs/chopped chocolate.
- Roll into 15 evenly sized balls, place on prepared baking tray and gently press down with your fingers.
- Bake for 10 minutes then allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
- I used Loving Earth Coconut Mylk Chocolate
- Replace coconut palm sugar with honey or 100% pure maple syrup however this will result in a different texture once baked
- For vegans/egg free alternative: replace the egg with a ‘flax egg‘ – mix 1 TBSP flaxseed meal and 3 TBSP water