Since Sunday I have been down in Melbourne as I am completing an internship for three weeks as part of my university studies! As I’m a self-confessed foodie I have already been sampling the delicious food Melbourne has to offer. So, I thought I’d share some meals with you..
I enjoyed this gluten free vegan shepherd’s pie from The Organic Food and Wine Deli in Degraves St Melbourne CBD, for lunch on my first day. It was absolutely delicious and really reasonably priced!
I caught up with a good friend at Mamasita’s, Collins St Melbourne CBD, last night for dinner. Although there was about a 30 minute wait to be seated, I believe it was well worth it. We enjoyed their signature corn, a taco each (I chose the fish) and their chickpea fritters – these were my favourite of the night! The entire restaurant is gluten free, yet the most surprising part was the bill. All of this only cost us $20 each – such great value! I highly recommend eating here, but do be prepared to queue!
So now onto the recipe…
As I’m working 9-5 days I’m experiencing what it really is like having to cook after a busy day at work. I believe the words ‘simpler is better’ are very appropriate to use here!
This salad is very simple and you can basically use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.
The quinoa and chickpeas add an element of protein to this filling salad.
A little tip – cook a lot of quinoa on Sunday and store it in a sealed container so you can add it to dishes throughout the first part of the week!
This salad will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days – perfect to take for lunch the next day!
Quinoa chickpea vegetable salad with hummus
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, washed and finely sliced
- 1/2 eggplant, washed and finely diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, washed and finely diced
- 1/2 head broccoli, washed and cut into florets
- 3 mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rocket, washed
- 3 TBSP hummus
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large frypan over medium heat and add coconut oil.
- Add in carrot, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum, broccoli and mushrooms, and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cooked quinoa, cumin and chickpeas to vegetables. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir through rocket, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with hummus.
Note: goat cheese would work really well with this salad!
As I’m down in Melbourne for three weeks, I welcome any suggestions from you for healthy cafes/restaurants for me to try!